Issue #1277 has been updated by Charlie Savage.

> IO isn't always associated with a file, and the file may has
> been renamed or unlinked.

Ah, that's a good point.   Maybe ruby could convert the io stream to a string and pass that to openssl (at least on Windows)?

Note that I have built ruby with msvcr90d.ll, but all the extension libraries (iconv, openssl, etc.) are built with msvc90.dll. I've run into two issues - the memory issue (fixed) and this file issue.

> What about errno?

Yes, I remember you mentioned this the other day.  What is the issue?  Do you have some example code I could look at by chance?  I've never run into this problem with ruby (I have seen an issue once in the gdal code base).

Thanks for taking the time to go through all these issues.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org