Issue #1277 has been updated by Charlie Savage.

Hi Nobu,

I'm curious why you rejected this patch.  Is there any real difference between Ruby opening the file or openssl opening the file?

The reason I think it is important is that it causes a segmentation fault if you mix runtime libraries on Windows.  Say a Windows developer downloads Openssl binaries from here (this is the recommended link from the openssl home page):

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

Those are built with VC2008 it seems.  So if you have a MingW built version of Ruby then this call will result in a segmentation fault.  Using the file api, as the patch does, fixes the problem.

Would you accept a patch if it does an #ifdef just for Windows?

Charlie

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org