Aman,

When I merge the MBARI patches with 1.8 HEAD, I also plan to replace the
stack optimization introduced in the MBARI2 patch with the (better) thread
anchors already in HEAD (which, I think, were originally backported from
1.9).   This should happen in the next week or so.  In the meantime, you
might want to try this patch against the current (MBARI 8B) patches on 1.8.6
or 1.8.7:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p22385077/rmMBARI2.patch

It just disables the MBARI2 patch and leaves the rest intact.
It would be very helpful to find out whether or not that alone eliminates
God's segfaults.

Will you give this a try?
If it works, I'll do an 8C patch that to replace the stack splicing of
MBARI2 with stack anchors on 1.8.7-p72 and perhaps 1.8.6-p287 as well.

- brent