Issue #1261 has been updated by Daniel Golle.

i was fiddling around for hours to make gems, rake and rake-compiler part of the OpenWRT toolchain... now i tried it and it's not so helpful in my situation i believe
cons of rake-compiler for my project:
- i won't use gems but rather the OpenWRT's opkg to manage packages
- it manages it's own cross-compiled versions of ruby, which is unneeded, because i got it already as a part of the OpenWRT build
- it needs that you specify the target platform in the Rakefile. this is really bad, because i'll need to modify the Rakefile whenever OpenWRT supports a new architecture.
- in the current version 0.3.1 it fails cross-compiling for anything else than mingw32 target (see line 40 in cross-ruby.rake)

in the end, rake-compiler also does nothing else than calling ruby -I{...} extconf.rb and then make while unnecessarily complicating things...
i guess it's a nice tool to create gems which run on both, Unix and Windows and you don't want to take care of the whole toolchain (binutils, gcc, ld, ...) yourself. with the OpenWRT build-system I do have a nice tool to take care of all the non-ruby-specific parts of cross-compiling. I modified it to include a host-version of ruby having the same version as used on the target.

i'll revert back to rather not use rake-compiler and please, somebody tell me how to supply a DESTDIR to mkmf.rb... :)

cheers

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org