Hi,

See [ruby-core:02168].

1. "miniruby" might not be able to load ext lib. (such as Windows)
  [ruby-core:2253] is interesting but does not run under such env.

2. "./ruby rdoc" might require libruby.so, syck.so, etc.  The trick
  in rubytest.rb cannot do everything (such as digest/digest/md5).
  I know current depending libs of rdoc does not require digest/md5,
  but it could be someday I think.

3. So we are trying to add "tmp-install" feature.  nobu will post
  a initial proof-of-concept patch soon.  Ah, here is, in the patch
  pouch of the patch monster.
  http://nokada.jin.gr.jp/ruby/tmp-install.diff

Once after we'll solve the "how to build rdoc without installing ruby"
problem, "specifying target-dir via DESTDIR" will be easy to solve.

At the next of this problem, cross compiling env support.  Long way.

PS.  These problems are the reason why eban first commit the change
  which does not build rdoc by default.

Regards,
// NaHi