Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:22464] Re: [Question]utf-8 data contains BOM - b=
y  intention or by accident?"
    on Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:03:12 +0900, Wolfgang N=E1dasi-Donner <ed.odanow=
@wonado.de> writes:

|There were discusions about this point end of 2007, but several encoding=20
|related things were changed. I think it is a good idea to leave utf-8=20
|BOM handling to the programmer, because otherwise some handling should=20
|be available for the other Unicode encodings too.

There's no chance to add direct UTF-8 BOM support in encoding, but we
have a plan to add options to open() to ignore leading BOM in UTF-8,
as well as treating newlines universally.

							matz.