--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Feb_23_21:20:14_2009-1

At Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:48:34 +0900,
Michal Suchanek wrote:
> Well, this file is quite lengthy and not very readable even for those
> who look in it.
>
> The ordering by class rather than by feature make it look like there
> are *many* changes.
>
> A single change is listed multiple times for each class it affects so
> it is not clear what it affects nor that it's in fac t a single concept
> applied to several classes.

I agree that the file has many points to improve, but the section
listing compatibility issues is not that lengthy at all.

Speaking of which, the ordering changed in 1.9 and you may like it
better.

> > I think I never missed mentioning the file in any preview or final
> > release announcement I issued.  After all, it is your choice to go
> > with a guidebook or just stay reading nothing...
> >
> > Maybe it was not you but a distributor or packager who did not read it
> > and called attentions of their users, and in that case we'll have to
> > try harder to call *their* attensions.
>
> Note that the GC semantic change which breaks some C extensions (which
> was pointed out as a response to 1.8.7 preview2 without diagnosing the
> reason) is not mentioned in the NEWS file. So a distributor who
> happily packages 1.8.7 then gets a bunch of C extensions that appear
> to build fine and then segfault at runtime.

I tried really hard to keep the file accurate and up-to-date, but I
might have forgotten or missed adding some of the changes.

Could you follow up with a mail reference?  I'll add an entry for
that.

> I tried looking at Changelog as well but gleaning anything useful from
> there is impossible, at least for me.

Hmm.  It was the very reason I decided to make a NEWS file to
summarize the changes written in developer oriented words and
translate into user readable format.  I feel regret if I dropped
something.

--
Akinori MUSHA / http://akinori.org/