--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Feb_23_12:31:47_2009-1

At Mon, 23 Feb 2009 02:48:51 +0900,
Michal Babej wrote:
> Sorry for a little late response... So, i have one small story, from several
> months ago, when i was just starting with ruby. I had a small program written
> (~200 lines), and i decided to give 1.8.7 a try. It failed on Array#index
> change. Thoughts:

That sets me wondering.  You might have been either giving both an
argument and a block to #index on 1.8.6 which block was just
meaningless, or giving nothing expecting an ArgumentError to be raised
for some unknown reason.  Maybe you found a potential bug or logic
error in your code.

> 1. I didn't expect ruby to have "kernel-like" versioning scheme, so i was
> quite shocked that 1.8.7 changed an important class in such a way. It looked
> like there could be a lot more _big_ changes and i decided to stay with 1.8.6
>
> 2. I didn't read NEWS. Actually i had no idea there's a NEWS file which
> actually had useful content, and that it's the place where changes to ruby N-1
> would live. Perhaps it's just me... but it was quite surprising to learn.

I think I never missed mentioning the file in any preview or final
release announcement I issued.  After all, it is your choice to go
with a guidebook or just stay reading nothing...

Maybe it was not you but a distributor or packager who did not read it
and called attentions of their users, and in that case we'll have to
try harder to call *their* attensions.

--
Akinori MUSHA / http://akinori.org/