On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:01:38AM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2004, at 8:54, James F. Hranicky wrote:
>
> >I can check it out and see. DESTDIR traditionally prepends a path to
> >the
> >default install path
> >
> >	make install DESTDIR=/some/where
> >
> >installs the package (with /usr/local as the default install) into
> >
> >	/some/where/usr/local
>
> What effect does DESTDIR have on ~, the user's home directory. It's
> easy to have rdoc look for an environment variable DESTDIR and use it
> if set, but I don't think I want to append it to _all_ paths, as
> ~/.rdoc won't be relativized. Otherwise I'm thinking this is probably a
> two-line change in ri_path.rb

DESTDIR is not relevant for ~/.rdoc, really - it is used only during
install, and is a pure prefix for installed files.  DESTDIR is used in
release engineering, chroot-building, and cross-machine building for
use with e.g. NFS mounts.

~/.rdoc should only be relevant when using the installed rdoc in a
normal fashion - and at that point, all trace of DESTDIR should be gone
(as DESTDIR pointed at what is now /)

Eivind.