On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:30:52 +0900
Dave Thomas <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:

> Matz is concerned about the bandwidth overhead of this.

Ok...FWIW, we (cise.ufl.edu) would be glad to be a ruby mirror for any
dist necessary...

> The testruby.rb script handles all this by messing around with dynamic
> load paths. If I knew what DESTDIR even did I might be able to work on
> this. Perhaps someone out there might be able to help me out.

I can check it out and see. DESTDIR traditionally prepends a path to the
default install path

	make install DESTDIR=/some/where

installs the package (with /usr/local as the default install) into

	/some/where/usr/local

In our setup, we manage our software with depot from CMU, so all of our
packages go in a collection space (e.g., /depot/c0/ruby-1.8.0), which is
then linked into /usr/local by the depot program.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do to make it work.

Jim