Long ago in a galaxy far away, I wrote a Perl 4 program with a byte
constant. The program compared some data with this constant and took a
branch on the result. Years went by and Perl 4 evolved into Perl 5. At
some point in the evolution of Perl 5 -- I think it was the move from
5.6 to 5.8 -- the default behavior changed from byte semantics to
character semantics and my program broke. Fortunately, I was able to
insert a pragma in the program to get it to go back to byte semantics.

Could Ruby 1.8.8 have something like this? Make the default behavior
to support the 1.8.7 syntax and semantics, but have a pragma or a
command line flag to make the default behavior to support the 1.8.6
syntax and semantics?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky