2009/2/14 Tanaka Akira <akr / fsij.org>:
> In article <op.uotab6oa9245dp / kool>,
>  "Michael Selig" <michael.selig / fs.com.au> writes:
>
>> That's right - These files are quite small, and I only need to do
>> sequential I/O. I want to keep the format backward compatible when using a
>> single-byte encoding.
>
> Whould you show an example of such format?
>
> I couldn't imagine a fixed length field which single byte
> encoding (US-ASCII) is usable and multibyte encoding is
> useful.
>
> For example, zip code or some fixed numbering system is
> fixed length but multibyte encoding is not useful.

Let's make it more general - what about the first N characters or first N lines?

I'm sure you can understand this is useful.

How does the lines() Enumerator interact with the IO?

If a method like head(N) was implemented on it would it leave the IO
pointing to the text after the first N records, be it chars, lines, or
anything else?

Can that Enumerator be created so that it starts enumerating at the
current file position?

Thanks

Michal