On Feb 14, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Urabe Shyouhei wrote:

> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> Eero Saynatkari wrote:
>>> I will agree and disagree a bit: keeping the distribution at
>>> http://ruby-lang.org (or ftp://) is expected, but I think it
>>> is also beneficial to keep the SVN access available there.
>>>
>>> However, I think it is of paramount importance that there is
>>> an *official* Git repository as well, presumably at Github.
>>> It will result in much greater user involvement and more bug-
>>> and --very importantly-- /documentation/ patches.
>>>
>>> I expect Git to be EY's preferred way of working with the
>>> repository, but git-svn should be able to handle the other
>>> side just fine.
>>
>> In any case, since there's no realistic way to mirror a github repo
>> from
>> SVN, 1.8.6 should remain with the other ruby-core branches on
>> ruby-lang's SVN. I'm certainly in favor of an official github mirror,
>> but that's a separate matter that would encompass all ruby-lang svn
>> branches. So my point stands...no branch of ruby-lang Ruby should
>> move
>> to Github unilaterally.
>>
>> - Charlie
>
> Maybe stewardship and source code hosting service are different
> stories.  EY
> can move their 1.8.6 codes into github whenever they think they
> should.
> Perhaps we should see how things go for a while on SVN, and decide
> whether or
> not to move later.

Shyouhei-

	An official mirror on github is fine for us, we can keep the ruby svn
as the canonical repo for the least amount of disturbance for everyone
and use the existing redmine for issues. Like Eero described we can
have this be a two way mirroring from svn <-> git.

	Also your proposed schedule is fine, give everyone time to get ready.

	A few questions.

1. Which backports to 1.8.6 are you talking about  in your last email?

2. What are your thoughts on Brent's MBARI patches? We have done some
extensive testing and these patches make a huge difference in memory
consumption and speed for production ruby applications. We are
sponsoring Brent to port these patches to 1.8.6 currently and would
really like to see these become part of mainline ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7,
1.8.*. These patches do not break any apis or backwards compat but
drastically improve the memory pressure of all the ruby apps we've
tested it on. We've seen ruby apps spend up to 45% of their cpu wall
time in the GC, with these patches that percentage is vastly reduced.

Thanks
Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ez / engineyard.com