In article <49971135.3020009 / sun.com>,
  Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter / sun.com> writes:

> I would argue that since glob can be implemented in different ways, that
> if one impl has dupes for one place, another can have dupes for other
> places. The detail of which globs may return dupes should not be
> specified in glob's behavior; glob should either be "may return dupes"
> or "never returns dupes". If any case in MRI returns dupes, then glob
> "may return dupes", and we should fix the specs to uniq the result. Agreed?

The simple "may return dupes" specification breaks
applications.

There is an example in the rdoc of fileutils.rb:

  #   FileUtils.rm Dir.glob('*.so')

If Dir.glob('*.so') returns duplicates, Errno::ENOENT will
be raised.

The simple "never returns dupes" specification may have less
problems.

The somewhat shell emulating current behavior may also have
less problems, because people live with it.
--
Tanaka Akira