Michael,

I have just posted the MBARI patches on GitHub at:

http://github.com/brentr/matzruby/tree/v1_8_7_72-mbari

I believe you can pull from it via this git URL:

git://github.com/brentr/matzruby.git

A few points regarding your difficulties with the porting the MBARI patches
to 1.8.6:

1)  Your report helped me identify the cause of the test failure in
TestBeginEndBlock.
     There was always a bit of a race condition in handling the
ruby/suicide.rb test case
      (Would CHECK_INTS get called before the interpreter terminated?)
     The big rb_eval() refactoring of MBARI4 moved the point at which
CHECK_INTS is invoked
     and made that race much more likely.   Even so, it always worked
sometimes :-)
     My fix is to invoke CHECK_INTS just after sending a signal to any
process
     It's in the MBARI7 patch dated 2/13/09 on github.  (Not yet on my
website)

2)  I never see the YAML failure here.  That may be a problem unique to
1.8.6
     or it may be an error in porting the patches.

3)  This is the only failure I see and you don't list it:

  1) Failure:
test_client_session(OpenSSL::TestSSL)
    [./openssl/test_ssl.rb:426:in `test_client_session'
     ./openssl/test_ssl.rb:417:in `times'
     ./openssl/test_ssl.rb:417:in `test_client_session'
     ./openssl/test_ssl.rb:129:in `call'
     ./openssl/test_ssl.rb:129:in `start_server'
     ./openssl/test_ssl.rb:416:in `test_client_session']:
<false> is not true.

Any clues?  I'm guessing that I'm missing a supporting library.

3)  I'm working on a version of these patches for 1.8.6-p287 right now.
     Stay tuned...

Git seems to be behaving.  If it's laughing at me, it is doing so behind my
back.
Please do try to build from my git repo and let me know how that goes.

- brent