Matz,

Yes, it's certainly true that the typical computer user is less geeky these
days.
But, more to the point, Ruby has become a prisoner of its installed base,
with as many suits as geeks in its ecosystem.  Congratulations!

Have you considered pushing official responsibility for 1.8.6 out
to some of the commercial organizations benefiting most from it?
Let them fix bugs, incrementally enhance performance and endlessly QC
while your small team of core developers explore the new frontier.

They get a sense of ownership and control, thus boosting Ruby's credibility
with
the suits.  You free up resources for new projects.

- brent