On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM, John Barnette <jbarnette / gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a fair amount of talk lately about release management and
> version stability, most of it stemming from the way the release of
> Ruby 1.8.7 was handled. Despite all the talk, I haven't seen a good
> list of problems with 1.8.7 that's not buried in a fair amount of
> hyperbole. I'd appreciate it you'd reply to this thread with specific
> problems you've encountered in 1.8.7, especially problems that have
> kept you from upgrading.
>
> Let's try to avoid the philosophical disagreements around backporting
> new features, etc, and stick to specific bugs and technical problems,
> okay? There are plenty of other threads that cover all that. :)
>
> I'll get things started with the most commonly mentioned problem:
>
> - ActiveSupport's String#chars conflicted with Ruby's String#chars
> (resolved in ActiveSupport post 1.8.7)

As I maintainer of One-Click Installer, I've faced:

segmentation faults with FXRuby and wxRuby, which I believe those
developers have worked out these issues (GC during object creation or
something like that).

Failure to build several extensions bundled with One-Click that has no
gem versions, for example ruby-fcgi.

Weirdness in the average usage of web application frameworks and
testing frameworks like RSpec
(as a proof of working environment I tried to get one Rails 1.2
application and its 300 specs pass, with random failures) - This has
nothing to do with ActiveSupport.

Since I'm integrator, not the developer of those packages used by
One-Click, I've been forced, for my mental health to stick to 1.8.6
for the official releases.

Even AST generated by 1.8.6-p287 differs from 1.8.6-p114, something
like that could break ParseTree and Ruby2Ruby.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17