Issue #908 has been updated by Michael Selig.

I have a simple use-case:

Existing datafile has fixed length records, currently single-byte chars. I want to convert the application (which is quite old) to support multi-byte characters, but I don't want to have to go to the trouble of changing to variable-length or delimited records/fields. I would like to be able to read each record (whose length in chars I know) with one operation, instead of looping through each character.

Re: seeking by character count - it would be nice, but I have no idea how it could be implemented efficiently!

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org