Hi,

+1 to keep simple.  We Japanese developers once abandoned to run
test (test/ruby/*) without installing.  For example, loading
digest/md5/md5.so with 'require "digest/md5"' is difficult with
the trick (I know rdoc does not use md5 for now).

> > 2. miniruby might not be able to load syck.so so target rdoc must
> >   use ruby instead of miniruby.

> I wasn't sure about this: the miniruby on my platform seems to run
> fine. Is this just a coincidence?

mswin and cygwin.

> > 3. there could not be sources in the current dir.

> I'm probably wrong, but doesn't the rest of the Makefile assume that
> it's running in the source directory (there are dependencies on files
> such a Makefile itself).

It doesn't (a bug if do).  Makefile might be generated at build dir.

> > By the way, configure option --disable-rdoc seems good.
> > --enable-rdoc is better for me (never mind. :-)
>
> Could someone familiar with autoconf show me how to do this?

eban knows.

> Or, as I'm sensing some resistance here, should we simply change it so
> that end-users need to do an explicit
>
>     make doc

I prefer this.  Folks?

Regards,