Michal,

I got an account on a ppc64 (Darwin) server with apple gcc 4.01.
After testing there I updated the PPC patch on my website.
You might want to give it another try.

The G5 server I'm on normally wants to compile in 32-bit mode.
With the latest PPC patch, compiling in 32-bit mode,
I could run the ruby test suite without any unexpected errors
with STACK_WIPE_SITES set to 0x9770. (fast and thorough)
(note that the codes changed, have a look at rubysig.h for details)
On the PowerPC, its always better to read the stack pointer via assembly
code, as __builtin_alloca(0) does not return it.

This latest PPC patch checks the __ppc64__ #define as well as __ppc__
(I mistakenly thought that __ppc__ would always be defined if __ppc64__ was)

When I force the compiler to produce a 64-bit binary, I find that
I must use the "safe" stack clearing method (which is now the default for
PowerPCs).
But, I *can* and do use assembler to read the stack pointer on my G5 system.
I don't understand why this bit of asm fails on your ppc64 box.

Here's a typical gcc command from my 64bit build:
gcc  -m64 -pipe -fno-common    -DRUBY_EXPORT  -I. -I.  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE
-D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE   -c gc.c
file gc.o responds:  Mach-O 64-bit object ppc64

Unfortunately, ppc64 versions of the system libraries
are not installed on my test box, so I could not try the Ruby test
suite in 64-bit mode.  It did run my little benchmarks without trouble.

Again, let me know how you do there.
Also, *please* send me details on your configuration:
The config.h file from your build directory and
and the output of the gcc -v command.

- brent