On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack / gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis' mingw distro seems to work well
> http://github.com/luislavena/rubyinstaller/blob/master/README.txt
> http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-on-windows
>
> At least, when I use it I can build binary gems using it. If that's any
> help.

Aha! And I found why:

It happens to use make 3.79.1, while msys has 3.81 as the latest
version right now. In fact, I can't even find
msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2 in the msys downloads on
sourceforge anymore.

It seems that make 3.79.1 had a bug that mistakenly allowed semicolons
as VPATH separators (or was it some weird heuristics?), and that's why
many people didn't notice it before. I'm happy to announce that my
patch still works with make 3.79.1 and nothing breaks, so it must be
safe to apply.

Anyone in the future who will upgrade to make 3.81 will be affected by
this bug, btw.