On Monday, January 5, 2004, 6:03:18 PM, J.Herre wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2004, at 8:55 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

>> > rdoc:
>> >               echo Generating RDoc documentation
>> >               $(MINIRUBY) -I lib bin/rdoc --all --ri-system *.c
>>

> Does this mean that you have to have root in order to 'make rdoc'?

Yes, but you have to be root to do 'make install' anyway.  Or do you?

That's why I suggested a $prefix-sensitive process:
 - if $prefix is absolute (aiming to trap /usr{/local}), then use --ri-system
 - if $prefix is relative (aiming to trap ~/ruby etc), then use --ri

That's imperfect, but the principle may have merit.  Also, if OS is
Windows, then use --ri-system.

Alternatively, allow this:

  make rdoc RI=LOCAL

or this: