[Rich, please avoid top-posting.]

> Perhaps make it available for mirrors and save ruby-lang's bandwidth?

I think Matz may mean the bandwidth consumed by constant commits and
updates of documentation to and from the CVS.  The bandwith in a download
would not be greatly increased by YAML files, which compress well.

> It would be convenient, and may mean a lot to folks.
>
> RubyForge would mirror the docs, and others would I am sure.  You could
> always link from ruby-lang to a mirror for it.

Improving the current mirroring situation is probably a good idea.  I'm
now warming to the "make people generate their own docs from the source"
approach.  After all, pre-built Ruby tarballs are available for many
platforms, and they would include documentation.

I believe RubyForge only mirrors the source distribution.  Maybe in the
future it can hold some binary distros as well (for various platforms,
provided by someone else).

Several times, I have downloaded the Cygwin binary distro from (I believe)
ruby-lang.org.  It's built every day from the latest sources.  Very good!

Gavin