On Jan 4, 2004, at 19:31, J.Herre wrote:
> I also think that rdoc should be run using the ruby and rdoc in the
> working directory to close the development loop, i.e.
>
> rdoc: ruby
>     ./ruby -I lib bin/rdoc --all --op ./rdoc *.c
>
> And then just installing from working dir ./rdoc to <sysdir> during
> install phase.  The reason for this is that you wouldn't want a
> process which might fail running during install.  Better that it die
> before anything in production has been touched.

This sounds reasonable to me: rdoc documentation gets built during
'make' and installed during 'make install'. Except...

That's really going to annoy developers, who want to make a change to
xxxx.c and simply compile a new executable. But, if we don't make
'rdoc' part of the default target, the average user might not
know/remember to use it before doing make install.

What to do....

Cheers

Dave