Issue #744 has been updated by Roger Pack.

Here's my field report.
I have a small rails app on a linode slice.  After running it awhile I noticed that the system stopped responding--it was running out of RAM.

For some reason my rails app was growing by 8MB of RSS per request.  If anybody wants to look into this in more depth I'd be happy to give them access.

Updating to 187 trunk:  same result.
Updated to 187 + MBARI patches.  Problem gone.
Also the total RSS now starts at 59MB and [4 days later] has appeared to stabilize at 62MB.  Without patches it starts at 78MB, so a 25% RAM use reduction, which is very nice for those on slices.

I'd encourage the inclusion of these patches into trunk for the next patch release.

A few thoughts on compiler differences: would using the SET_STACK_END macros help?  Maybe it could revert to a method call [so force go down on stack] as a way to check the stack end?  Or just always add to 20 to what alloca returns or what not?

re: measure peak process size: sys-proctable might help.

Thanks much for your work.  It spared me hours of debugging and has improved my opinion of Ruby.  Three cheers :)
Where to send donation?

-=r

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org