On OSX -fomit-frame-pointer is turned off if you use -O2, or other
levels.  In fact, if you turn it on, the compiled ruby crashes.

OSX has an addition to gcc - a "-fast" option that turns on the following flags:
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrict-aliasing -momit-leaf-frame-pointer
-fno-tree-pre -falign-loops

But as both -fomit-frame-pointer and -momit-leaf-frame-pointer cause
the compiled ruby to crash, I have been using these options to compile
ruby with MBARI7:

-O3 -fstrict-aliasing -fno-tree-pre -falign-loops

Also with these options I have not had any problems setting
STACK_WIPE_SITES to 0x4370

-Stephen