That's not the way the gcc behaves in my experience with the 32-bit x86
machines.
Could you point me at this documentation?

What I read is:
    -O also turns on -fomit-frame-pointer on machines where doing so does
not interfere with debugging.

32-bit x86 machines cannot generate stack backtraces without framepointers.
This certainly does interfere with debugging.

- brent