Dave Thomas writes:

 > On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:29 AM, Yugui (Yuki Sonoda) wrote:
 > > You must build Ruby with GNU readline if you want input multibyte
 > > characters. [ruby-dev:36199].
 >
 > I have both on my box, and it looks as if the Makefile in ext/readline
 > is using readline:
 >
 > LIBS = $(LIBRUBYARG_SHARED) -lreadline -lncurses  -lpthread -ldl -lobjc
 >
 > Is there a way to tell at runtime which underline readline library I'm
 > using?

I can't get a clean build with EditLine right now to confirm this, but I think that
Readline::VERSION returns something like "5.1" when using Readline and
"EditLine Wrapper X.Y" when using EditLine.

To make sure you're using Readline you can just pass
--with-readline-dir=/something to your configure script.

--
Federico