On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Luis Lavena <redmine / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Even worse, zlib has been updated and renamed to zlib1, which add another question of the version used to build the distribution.
>
> I believe one of the reasons is license distribution, but I could be wrong.

zlib1.dll is the correct name for the DLL, according to what I recall
of the zlib pages. However, that's intended for a "system" compile
(e.g., made with msvc6 compatibility only); if a win32 distro is made
that need to ship a zlib DLL, it needs to have a different name (e.g.,
ruby-zlib.dll) so that there's no chance of Ruby conflicting with the
"system" zlib DLL.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca