Issue #956 has been updated by Tom Link.

> proper charset

I'm fine with any solution that makes something 8-bit clean the default charset.

People using cygwin's x server though can run cygwin's utf-8-capable version of rxvt. In such a case, it could cause problems if ruby relied on the windows locale.

A proper solution should IMHO check for LANG first and use the windows locale only if LANG isn't defined -- as proposed by Martin.

Anyway, I haven't tried it yet but I guess the current solution is ok for me since I personally use the non-utf-8 windows rxvt terminal.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org