(1) "compile time" is not obvious for this language (as is a dynamic interpreter).

(2) On calling io_fread a backtick does *not* set its pipe a O_NONBLOCK flag, so
    io_fread call should block until piped subprocess says anything (at least
    according to Linux man page).

(3) A quick grance at the ls implementation of GNU coreutils does not find any
    use of O_NONBLOCK.

So approaching from the source it is suspicious for a backtick to result in
EWOURLDBLOCK.

Of course there can be bugs and that can perhaps happen on occasion, that is
another reason why we want to reproduce that on our environment.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org