There's an mmap wrapper already out there from the late Guy Decoux:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/mmap/

Regards,

Dan

This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential =
or
privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is =
strictly=20
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication =

in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and =
destroy=20