Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:21165] Re: Happy new year and... moving Ruby	development to Git?"
    on Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:29:44 +0900, Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux / m4x.org> writes:

|This is mainly because non-trivial patches (and even trivial ones) tend
|to stay quite long in the bug tracker. Which means that you basically
|have, as a non-committer, to update your patch over and over again to
|the newest HEAD. I did that with svn, it is horrible (you have to do it
|by hand). I do that now with git and it works like a charm (thanks to
|rebase).

As far as I believe issues and patches posted Redmine need not to
update to the latest.  The committers will do.  Most of left out
changes are just posted to the list.

|Another thing: maintaining the ChangeLog file. This thing looks very
|stupid, and makes merging horrible (you basically always have a conflict
|on ChangeLog, for obvious reasons). I thought first that it was a
|workaround from the good'ol days of CVS and even started to write a
|script that would generate it. Then I realized that it was not doable
|with SVN since there are no merges. Stupid.

We have a tool to do the ChangeLog merge, so let us do the merge, just
post the ChangeLog entry for the patch.

None the less, we could prepare the git repository synchronized with
the central repository.  Yugui already has one anyway.

							matz.