M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> EustŠ“uio Rangel wrote:
>
>> remember that
>> Git is used to keep projects like the Linux kernel and take a look
>> again on it.
>>

> I am remembering a line from AWDR -- something about everything being
> done for historical reasons. That's precisely why there is a Git and why
> the Linux kernel uses it. The Linux kernel used to be maintained in a
> system called BitKeeper. Linus Torvalds asked the developer(s) of
> BitKeeper to release it as an open source project. They either couldn't
>
> or wouldn't, so Linus developed Git as a replacement.

[Off-topic but the drama of the BitKeeper wars compells me]

Not to nitpick, but Linus never asked Bitkeeper to open source itself.

 From my armchair, with a snifter of Cognac,  I would read the BitKeeper
threads on LKML when I wanted a soap opera.

Linus knew the Bitkeeper guy and the Bitkeeper guy decided to let Linus
use Bitkeeper free (as in beer).  All other developers could get a free
copy of the client so long as they agreed to some licensing terms.  Some
people (Tridgell) felt it was heinious to build a GPL kernel using a
commerical SCM.   They also did not like the terms of the free license
of BitKeeper (like if you use it you cannot work on your own SCM).   So
people kept trying to reverse engineer Bitkeeper protocols and inner
workings and it eventually boiled to a head when the BitKeeper guy
(Larry?) decided no more free licenses (especially to OSDL where Linus
and Tridgel worked).   This forced Linus into a corner, because up until
that point because he only liked BitKeeper.  That was the seed for Git.

I suspect there were some technical motivations for git getting created
as well, but I personally think it was mostly Linus just getting fed up
with the endless BitKeeper wars.

-Tom