On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> wrote:

> In ruby-libjit I define == operator on JIT types to emit an eq
> instruction.  Now that != is redefinable I can use it to emit an neq
> instruction (instead of always returning false, which is what it does on
> 1.8).

I just looked at a very nice talk about "How Ruby Can Run Fast" by,
Glenn Vanderburg. One of the many interesting things that came up were
that one should never design the language for the implementors but for
the users.
Glenn convincingly showed that not only that will make the language
clumsy but that actually those challenges are one of the main forces
that make the top VM such wonderful things they are nowadays.
Robert
--
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the
dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any