On Monday, December 29, 2003, 3:15:32 AM, Yukihiro wrote:

> I sent this mail directly to gsinclair due to its reply-to [...]

Sorry about that; I didn't mean for my reply-to to be set like that.
Should be fixed now.

>> Should this be "fixed"?  It seems crazy to me that a Date can't be
>> printed merely because it has been frozen.

> And my answer for his question is "I don't know".  It's just
> a matter of trade-off.  By caching, Date has better
> performance.  Fixing this problem costs us either worse
> performance or less maintainability.  I'm not sure if
> freezing dates is so important or not.

When I found the problem, I unfroze my dates (and had to unfreeze a
few other things as well, I think) and there was no more problem.  So
I wouldn't say that freezing dates is all that important.  However, if
someone freezes an arbitrary object, and somewhere else prints an
arbitrary object, they're going to be pretty annoyed when their
program stops working.  I guess it could be considered pathological.

Cheers,
Gavin