On Jan 1, 2009, at 04:42 AM, Michael Klishin wrote:
> A question to Matz and all the Ruby contributors: are there any real
> reasons to use Subversion and not Git for Ruby development?

My experience working on Rubinius lead me to believe that git wants to
stab me in the back at every turn then laugh at me in foreign
languages while I try to figure out just what it did to my
repository.  (I'm sure I'm being insulted but I'm not sure how strong
an insult git is using.)

> Others that did not are considering a move and in process of
> evaluation of different options: FreeBSD

FreeBSD just completed a move to subversion after many months of work,
but primary development has been happening in perforce for a couple
years now.  Switching to a DVCS was not likely at any time soon (next
few years) according to mail I read.  FreeBSD doesn't get developed
the way Linux does, Rubinius didn't, and I don't think Ruby does either.

git is the most user-unfriendly a piece of software I've had the
misfortune of using.  While subversion has until recently lacked the
ability to easily merge separate branches, at least it has been
reasonably user friendly when I'm trying to pull in code from the main
repository.

Maybe in a couple years git will be friendly enough for me to use.