Hi,

In message "[BUG] Can't call to_s on a frozen Date"
    on 03/12/28, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> writes:

|Interesting...
|
|irb(main):008:0> Date.today.freeze.to_s
|
|TypeError: can't modify frozen object

Because Date object cache calculated values.

							matz.
p.s.
I sent this mail directly to gsinclair due to its reply-to,
then he wrote me a reply:

---
On Monday, December 29, 2003, 1:01:55 AM, Yukihiro wrote:

> Hi,

> In message "[BUG] Can't call to_s on a frozen Date"
>     on 03/12/28, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> writes:

> |Interesting...
> |
|irb(main):008:0>> Date.today.freeze.to_s
> |
> |TypeError: can't modify frozen object

> Because Date object cache calculated values.

Should this be "fixed"?  It seems crazy to me that a Date can't be
printed merely because it has been frozen.

Gavin
---

And my answer for his question is "I don't know".  It's just
a matter of trade-off.  By caching, Date has better
performance.  Fixing this problem costs us either worse
performance or less maintainability.  I'm not sure if
freezing dates is so important or not.

							matz.