On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Florian Gilcher <flo / andersground.net> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We already set up quite a few tools around Subversion, so we need to
>> port them to support git.  Yugui (who uses git herself) is in charge
>> of the issue.  You can contact (and offer help to) her.
>>
>>                                                        matz.
>>

> In addition to that, I want to mention that Windows support of GIT is
> still sub-standard. I'm using the cygwin-build on a daily basis[1] and can
> speak out of personal experience.
> Configuring everything beyond the most simple things gets arcane and hard.
> If "ease of use" is the argument, it doesn't hold true on win.
>
> In the light of this, I would suggest an "official" mirror.

I would disagree on that topic.

I use on a daily basis msysGit (1.5.5 and 1.6.0) without issues. Uses
notepad as editor or bundled vim too.

Also, for the record, configured to use ssh and plink (PuTTY) and both
work without issues.

One important thing: disable autocrlf (false) since is the worse
default msysGit developers could have introduced.

We can fork this discussion to ruby-talk if you need help. I use it
for several open source projects and my compnay projects too without
issues (and sharing the environment with Mac and Linux users).

As for the Ruby on Git official support will be really really helpful.
More if GitHub is used as official mirror or hosting, since they are
building around it a lot of tools that ease contribution (namely: fork
queue).

> Regards,
> Florian Gilcher
>
> [1]: Yes, I also tried the msysgit, which is even worse.

Again: which part is worse? It lacks things like git-serve, but I can
live without the need to "host" git repositories in my own computer.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17