On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:42 AM, Michael Klishin wrote:

> A number of well known projects in the Ruby space use Git now: from
> Rails and Merb to RSpec to DataMapper to Rubinius to even Rake I
> believe (I may be wrong here). RubySpec uses Git, by the way.

Rake switched to git during the Ruby Hoedown (while I was sitting
about 5 seats down from defunkt).  I have seen the number of
contributions to Rake skyrocket after the switch.

And using git makes the evaluation of those third party contributions
much easier to check out.  You create a branch and pull in the patches
(which is really easy if the patches come form another git repo).  If
they look good, that temp branch gets merged with the main.  If I
don't like something with the patch, I just delete the branch and all
is good.

It was an uncomfortable two weeks while I got used to the "git
way" (which is quite different from the "svn way").  But once past the
initial learning curve, I'm very happy to be using git and would
choose git over svn for any new project where given the choice.

--
-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich / gmail.com