On 01.01.2009, at 21:00, Federico Builes wrote:

> Vladimir Sizikov set up a MRI repository for the Rubyspec project at
> http://github.com/rubyspec/matzruby/. It contains branches for all the
> current branches in the SVN repository so don't be afraid if you see
> it empty.

And it's great and useful. The question is, if a lot of people in the
community do use Git extensively already, and at least with Rails and
Merb it proven itself being worth the switch because aspiring
contributors *do* find it easier to contribute, what really holds Ruby
core team from making this move? I just want to understand.

At least in the part of the Ruby community that works on web stuff, it
is way easier to find a person who uses and likes Git than a person
who does not.
And I am pretty confident doing such a bold statement. What I
personally found out is, if someone pokes you with a question like
"hey did you see this library X that popped up recently?" you are
likely not going to be wrong, if you search it on the GitHub first,
not google.

I cannot think of an interesting project in the Ruby space that
appeared in 2008 and does not use Git. Either I have a sick metric of
whether project is interesting (it sure may be so), or Git already
reigns supreme in the Ruby universe, and I am sure there is a reason
to it, and MRI development can benefit from the switch.

MK