On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:22 AM, James Gray <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Michael Klishin wrote:
>
>> A question to Matz and all the Ruby contributors: are there any real
>> reasons to use Subversion and not Git for Ruby development?
>
> Subversion is nice for the central repository and the wider support.  I
> think that makes it the ideal pick for Ruby's main repository.
>
> Luckily, that doesn't hinder us git fans.  You can just pull the central git
> repository down with git-svn (which ships with git) and you get all the
> advantages of git locally.
>
> It's the best of both worlds.

I wonder if there would be in the Ruby community any interest in
setting up an "official git mirror" of the subversion repository on
GitHub.  (Similar to the official mirror of Perl:
http://github.com/blog/276-perl-mirror-on-github.
)  Thus anyone who takes an interest in playing with the ruby source
has a well-known point to fork from.  Considering the ease of directly
using git-svn straight from the source, I do somewhat the usefulness
of the suggestion.

But, it may be useful in the case that multiple GitHub users
independently use git-svn; now there may be some confusion on the part
of "casual hackers": 'Hmm... which one of these 7 ruby repositories
(returned in a GitHub search) is the best/most reliable/most
trust-worthy/etc.'