Issue #956 has been updated by Martin Dürst.

I can confirm that this problem happens. Adding a

#elif defined(__CYGWIN__)

option as the second choice in rb_locale_charmap in encoding.c should be a good start.
For the actual functionality, I think the best choice is
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/langinfo.c
There is also http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-libcharset.html,
but that's GNU, so it would create a copyright problem.

I guess the next steps would be to add the above langinfo.c to
the missing directory, probably changing the function name to
avoid conflicts with the existing (but useless) nl_langinfo.

I could easily do that, but I'd need some advice or help re.
makefiles. Nobu, Yui, anybody?

Regards,    Martin.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org