On Dec 28, 2008, at 23:38 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> In message "Re: [ruby-core:20874] [Feature #928] RDoc encoding
> conversion"
>    on Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:34:27 +0900, Yuki Sonoda <redmine / ruby-lang.org
> > writes:
>
> |What should RDoc do for rdoc documentations in various character
> encoding?
> |Converting them into UTF-8?
>
> My personal opinion is that RDoc should be in US-ASCII, unless
> explicitly specified otherwise.

Currently HTML output encoding is set to UTF-8.  Most english-speaking
people expect to be able to use UTF-8 these days as their editors
support it.

What should happen when a project has comments in one file that is
UTF-8 and another that is non-UTF-8?

I think that the non-UTF-8 comments should be converted to the UTF-8
(or whatever the output encoding is set to).