Bug #951: "make DESTDIR=... install" creates dirs outside DESTDIR

Author: Sven Schwyn

While working on the Ruby 1.9 ebuilds for Gentoo Prefix on Mac, I came across the following oddity.

With 1.9.1-pre2 the installation to a DESTDIR is not working as expected. While all files are installed correctly below the DESTDIR, one empty directory is created below the filesystem root:

/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/i686-darwin9/

Although not dramatic, this renegade directory triggers a QA error by the Gentoo installer which causes the installation to fail altogether.

I've tried to track down the offending line of code (most likely in instruby.rb), but couldn't find it.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org