On Dec 26, 2003, at 9:52 PM, Richard Kilmer wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2003, at 6:17 PM, Richard Kilmer wrote:
>
>> irb(main):002:0> Socket::getaddrinfo('192.168.1.100', 8081,
>> Socket::AF_UNSPEC, Socket::SOCK_STREAM,  0,  Socket::AI_PASSIVE)
>> SocketError: getnameinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
>>         from (irb):2:in `getaddrinfo'
>>         from (irb):2
>>

> Same problem posted in RubyTalk # 84909
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/84909
>
> Darn, I wish I/we would have caught this before 1.8.1...this really
> creates problems on OS X w/networking libraries.

Found this quote:

     MacOS X Panther has a lousy getnameinfo() implementation that
doesn't fill
the buffer when no DNS entry is found for a host and a numerical result
wasn't
explicitely asked. As a result, Pure-FTPd didn't even start on Panther
(saying
"bad IP address") . We now check for EAI_NONAME if available and we
retry with
NI_NUMERICHOST if this is what getnameinfo() returns. Thanks to Yann
Bizeul
for his valuable help on this issue.

Will research it more and see if I can come up with a patch (I am NOT
good at C!)