Hi Robbin,

You are the second to observe these patches improving Rails performance.
I really did not expect this.  All I can suppose is that the smaller call
stack caused
by the MBARI4 patch is saving more GC time than is spent by the stack
clearing of
the MBARI3 patch.  Someone running rails would have to instrument their code
to record the total time spent in GC in order to prove or disprove this.

Regarding your regex failure:
There was a bug in the patches originally posted to the website on the
December 19th.
It was corrected yesterday.  If the output of ruby -v is:

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-12-19 MBARI 6 on patchlevel 72) ...

You have downloaded the original version with the bug.
If so, please download the patches again and retest.
ruby -v should output:

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-12-21 MBARI 6 on patchlevel 72) ...

If you can get the regex problem to occur with the latest patches,
please try to create and post a self contained test program that
demonstrates it.

Thanks for your benchmarks,

- brent