Just finished running the standard regression test suite with both
unpatched and patched versions of 1.8.7.

I think the results are encouraging, but there are a couple issues:

                Process Size Inital/Final       User's CPU time (from the
time command)
Unpatched 1.8.7-p72:     30MB/97MB      92 seconds
MBARI 6 atop 1.8.7-p2:   30MB/57MB    100 seconds

The patched version reports one additional failure:
  2) Failure:
test_should_propagate_signaled(TestBeginEndBlock)
[./ruby/test_beginendblock.rb:81]:
<""> expected to be =~
</Interrupt$/>.

real	2m35.696s
user	1m39.422s
sys	0m3.284s

And, the drb test segfaults with the patched version.
(so I removed it for both the patched and unpatched for comparason)

Looks like I also will be playing with these patches over the holidays.

Enjoy,

- brent