Issue #877 has been updated by Dmitry A. Ustalov.

File cucumber-method-is-also-wrong.png added

I'm sorry for long answer delay.

Their solution is described at http://codesnippets.joyent.com/posts/show/414,
and implemented in
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/tree/master/lib/cucumber/formatters/unicode.rb

This method applies to output routines only, and it is useless here.
Actually problem is in the Windows-specific implementation of some Ruby
libraries. Ruby reads the environment variable in awful wrong encoding, and
works with file system objects in awful wrong encoding, too.

My attempts to iconv() ENV['userprofile'] to adequate charset
were unsuccessful (cp1251, cp1252, cp866).

Perhaps this bug is unresolvable (as Michael Klishin noted above), and
despite some limitations, I'll use my workaround before Ruby 1.8
will be replaced by 1.9.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org