At 23:49 08/12/13, Dave Thomas wrote:

>On Dec 13, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>

>> Very good point; symbols are not necessarily created in the file
>> where you use their literal form, and therefore need to have a
>> single encoding everywhere. I concur.
>
>Maybe, to avoid confusion, symbols should be constrained to be US- ASCII then.

For libraries and other general stuff, that makes sense.
It doesn't make sense for more specialized stuff.

>Otherwise we have a strange situation where the order in
>which files are required affects the internal encoding of a symbol,
>and that seems wrong.
>
>In theory, we say "the value of :fred is the same where ever it
>occurs. But as it stands now, that's no longer trueÍÕhe value of a
>symbol depends on the order that files are required.

I don't understand why anything would depend on file requiring order.
Each source file has to know its encoding, therefore order should be
irrelevant.

>:oluncoded with
>iso-8859-1 is a different symbol to :olencoded utf-8.

It definitely will be different.

Regards,   Martin.